Nov

What I’ve Been Reading, Fall 2012

Can you believe that it’s already November? It’s fall here in the United States, and it seems that everyone is busy. Right now I’m busy preparing for some international speaking engagements, and I’ve recently started work on my book to come out in 2014. And I just spoke this past weekend at Saddleback Church in California. (You can view the message online at their internet campus at a variety of times throughout this week.)

No matter how busy I am, I always make time to read. It’s one of the best means to personal growth, and I love learning from great communicators. Here are some of the books I’ve been reading in the past few months. As usual, I’ve captured great ideas and quotes and filed them with my system described here. I hope that through them you’ll learn something new and make strides in your own personal growth this fall and winter.

Grace by Max Lucado

Over Time: My Life as a Sportswriter by Frank Deford

Deep & Wide by Andy Stanley

Pure Grace by Clark Whitten

Fresh Air by Chris Hodges

Who Is This Man? by John Ortberg

Comments

I’d like to invest in this list for my library. I plan to revisit a manuscript I started entitled ‘A Future and a Hope’, making a number of tweaks to it as I am now on another level of trust. I’ll now praise and worship while assisting my traveling husband, alone and in corporate environments.

Kathy says:

Sad that your reading list is entirely devoid of female perspectives.

PastorMason says:

I’m sad that you are made sad so easily.

• 2.1.1
        Trish says:

I am learning something from both of your perspectives. Thanks for speaking up. You both gave me something to think about. My mom taught me that if you don’t have something good to say don’t say anything. Kathy – gave me the idea to look in my library at all of the books I have and see how much of a female influence is in my library – thanks Kathy. Pastor Mason – made me think about church and leadership and how I perceive words written and spoken from theologians versus laypeople. Thanks Pastor Mason.
        Make it a great day!

Julie says:

I think Kathy’s implied word at the start of her comment was “It’s,” meaning she finds it disappointing that there are no female perspectives on this list. I don’t think she meant she’s sad and I took Pastor Mason’s reply as a thinly veiled attack on her. Maybe he’d care to elaborate. She’s entitled to her opinion and I find it an interesting observation.

• 2.2.1
        PastorMason says:

Maybe Kathy should elaborate on her comment because what you said Julie is not as dramatic at what she said. Is it possible Kathy’s comment was a thinly veiled attack on John? Don’t know, can’t speak for her. Here’s my elaboration on my comment based on Kathy’s comment: It makes me sad when someone is sad over “John Maxwell’s list of his latest 5 books that he’s read” which he aimed to share with us as an encouragement to read and grow.

PastorMason says:

Great to have access to John’s library :) I’m planning on reading Andy Stanley’s new book too. Thanks for sharing John!

Derek Olson says:

Thanx so much for sharing your A-reading list!!! I’m gonna read “Pure Grace” next!

Joan says:

Thanks for sharing this with us John.

David says:

Wonderful selection of books. I seriously don’t think JM intended to not choose female authors. If you think he intentionally does this, they you don’t really know what he stands for. With that said, I always love trying to dive into his mind and see what and why he reads. For instance, a few books here are on Grace. Interesting.

Scott says:

I just added these to my want to read on Goodreads.

Thanks for the list of good books to be inspired by, John.

[…] John Maxwell on Leadership November 15, 2012 Post Under Uncategorized – Read More […]

Tim says:

Nice selection of books. I want to read Andy Stanley’s Deep & Wide book. My wife watches Charles Stanley every Sunday. Thanks John for giving us access to your current reading habit.