Apr

Enlarging others

Team members always love and admire a player who is able to help them go to another level, someone who enlarges them and empowers them to be successful.

Players who enlarge their teammates have several things in common:

1. Enlargers value their teammates: Your teammates can tell whether you believe in them. People’s performances usually reflect the expectations of those they respect.
  2. Enlargers value what their teammates value: Players who enlarge others listen to discover what their teammates talk about and watch to see what they spend their money on. That kind of knowledge, along with a desire to relate to their fellow players, creates a strong connection.
  3. Enlargers add value to their teammates: Adding value is really the essence of enlarging others. It’s finding ways to help others improve their abilities and attitudes. An enlarger looks for the gifts, talents, and uniqueness in other people, and then helps them to increase those abilities.
  4. Enlargers make themselves more valuable: Enlargers work to make themselves better, not only because it benefits them personally, but also because it helps them to help others. If you want to increase the ability of a teammate, make yourself better.

How do your teammates see you? Are you an enlarger? Do you make them better than they are alone through your inspiration and contribution? Do you know what your teammates value? Do you capitalize on those things by adding value to them in those areas?

Take some specific steps to enlarge your teammates today.

From The Maxwell Daily Reader

Comments

Frank Agliotti says:

“I can see further because I stand of the shoulders of giants” – Sir Thomas Edison.

Dear John, thank you for being a giant in my life.

Love and God Bless
    Frank Agliotti

Joseph Iliff says:

I’ve heard that quote attributed to Sir Isaac Newton, but it probably applies to Thomas Edison just the same, although I don’t think he was knighted.

Frank Agliotti says:

“I can see further because I stand on the shoulders of giants” – Sir Thomas Edison.

Dear John, thank you for being a giant in my life.

Love and God Bless
    Frank Agliotti

Gloria Festejo says:

Sir I ve read a lot of your books and learn a lot. Thank you so much for sharing about enlarging others, as I lead a very new church here in Uk. God bless you.

Evan says:

I’ve found with Music that the better I become myself I attract the young people in the church to play better and I can start to make them bigger when they believe in God’s gift given to me. Thank you so much for your wisdom!

Joseph Iliff says:

A leader exponentially expands their influence when they grow their followers not only in number but in their power. Empowered and developing followers multiply the work of a leader many times over.

Max Foust says:

I presented this article to several of our sales reps today because we are working on cross training and this article strongly reinforced what we need to do and how they can make the process much easier, stronger and more menaingful and profitable to them and the Company.

Great, Great Article! Thanks!

[...] Follow JohnCMaxwell on Twitter. Or visit John’s Facebook page. Introducing a new daily video program, A Minute with Maxwell. Sign up here. It’s free! Enlarging others [...]

Spot on. I have noted that my own growth as a student and as an employee have been strongest and most noticeable where I have team members (and especially team leaders) that value my contribution. Amazingly, those times, organizations and people have also been the ones to benefit the most from my efforts.

Great application of the great commision!!!

Thanks John!!

[...] Enlarging others [...]

Rob Moore says:

This stuff works from my experience! Whenever I got transferred to another location, people would cry, get mad at the person transferring me, beg me stay, you name it and most likely it happened. I’ve always built very strong relationships and connections based off of what you teach and always got great results! Thanks for sharing your great tips!